Saturday, January 7, 2017

Kodak Ektachrome E100 is back!

I have called this blog 'Film is Back'! and while that may be somewhat tongue-in-cheek, at the beginning of 2017, Kodak has announced they are about to do just that!

Kodak Alaris released a press statement at CES on January 5th 2017 outlining their plan to bring back Ektachrome 100 Slide film - a film they 'discontinued' in 2012.

The statement claims that... "Resurgence in the popularity of analog photography has created demand for new and old film products alike. Sales of professional photographic films have been steadily rising over the last few years, with professionals and enthusiasts rediscovering the artistic control offered by manual processes and the creative satisfaction of a physical end product."

This is great news for the future of film - especially if you love shooting colour reversal (slide) film. I have no insight into why Kodak have chosen to reintroduce Ektachrome specifically, although the conspiracy theorist in me wonders whether it might have anything to do with Film Ferrania?

Film Ferrania are an Italian company who caused quite a stir among the film community last year with a kickstarter project to start making (surprise, surprise) colour reversal slide film again. To begin with, Ferrania will be concentrating on 35mm and 120 E6 processed colour reversal film, as well as super 8 and 16mm motion picture film.

In their recent release, Kodak Alaris talked about the return of their E6 processed Ektachrome as well as (surprise, surprise), Super 8 film to support their recently released Super 8 movie camera. Is there a pattern emerging here do you think?

Whether there is, or not, competition is healthy right? I'd much rather see film being (re)introduced than discontinued, that's for sure. And if you are a slide film shooter, then you must be feeling pretty good about the future of E6, no matter who you end up purchasing it from.

For me - well, I'm not a slide film user (at all), so the news is fairly 'mah'. I am pleased that there is enough of a resurgence in film use that companies see a future in producing film stocks. And I am going to shoot more film this year than I have in the past. But most likely that will be Ilford B&W film - that I can process myself at home. That, for me, is the future of film...

1 comment:

  1. Your post opened my mind. Film is about artistic control.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I will respond as soon as I can.
Thanks again
Wayne