Monday, June 13, 2011

Medium Format book find

Coming home late last night from a family holiday, I was amazed to find a second-hand store open in a little town we stopped at. It was freezing cold, pitch dark, and about 8.00pm on a Sunday evening.  I suppose the guy who owned the store figured he may as well stay open?

Anyway, needed to stretch the legs, so had a look around. There were a few trashed cameras behind the counter (a very battered Canon T50 and rough looking lens was unfortunately the pick of them), and not much else.

So I started rummaging around in the book piles and came across the 'Medium Format Handbook' by Roger W. Hicks. A hard back, slightly bigger than A5 book in great condition - for $6. Well, I just had to buy it!

I have only read the first few chapters, and even though it was written about 20yrs ago, the information is still relevant for someone like me who is getting in to medium format film photography all over again. And although Hick's writing is quite technical in nature, I'm still getting a few gems of knowledge from it.

He himself is a Mamiya RB67 fan and professes to not like the square 6x6 format. Depending on the day and my mood, I tend to agree with him, although I am persevering with 6X6. I'm even looking art getting another one! I could really get into this medium format thing - especially with the prices as they are.

Hey, if you're going to shoot film, why not shoot in medium format and get the best/biggest negative you can?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I will respond as soon as I can.
Thanks again
Wayne